Sunday, March 7, 2010

The thing about living in a mud hut is...

I actually live in a termite mound that is shaped like a hut.
I finally got the insecticide from the damage done to my house discovered around October (see October blogs) and we are going to plaster the hut with cement. (Something that should have been done in the first place and would have prevented this whole mess.)
Before putting on the cement plaster I had to remove the mud plaster.
That’s when I discovered the termite holes.
The first one I jokingly referred to as a new window. They got subsequently less funny after that. It was very demoralizing to see what poor conditions I live in, and to realize how powerless I am against nature.
As I removed mud plaster, Jamboye started on the cement plaster. He did a good sized section that day, and I think it will make a big difference to the house. I know I’ll feel a lot better when the work is done.
Unfortunately I had to travel into the city while they’re doing most of the work, so inevitably something will go wrong. Maybe the cement will get stolen, maybe they’ll decide not to finish the work, or plaster over the mud plaster instead of remove it first, or my house will get broken into and all my things will disappear. BUT, I hope none of those things will happen and instead I will return to a correctly plastered house and we can continue the work on the inside, kill the termites and fix my roof before the rains so I don’t start living in a swamp instead of a termite mound.

No comments:

Post a Comment