Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Futility continued, or not?

You should have read the previous post to get the most out of this one, and maybe I'll be able to add pictures when the internet isn't circa 1997.
Our story pics back up yesterday, Sunday, September 26th. 
The whole forestry committee was supposed to show up to plant and fence some 50-ish trees, one person, one tree, one fence.  Communication being the challenge that it is, there was also a school-garden-fence-building project planned for the same day, and wouldn't you know it, many of the committee members had to do that instead.
But we bravely forged on, planting and fencing 6 cashew seedlings in just less than 2 hours. 
Each person was free to choose their method of fencing, and so we have six different fences around the trees. (Pictures would be included here.)
In the end, it wasn't the volume of tree planting I'd hoped for, but it was community driven, and so that's what will hopefully make it stick.
I told another man (shamelessly) that I'd give him 10 seedlings if he got 10 people to plant seedlings. I also need to get rid of these trees.
To me, they're not worth planting if they will just be neglected and die- Mom and I worked hard to fill the bags with soil and plant the trees. The sun shone and the rains fell, not to mention I bought the nuts, and the little cashews started to grow. I kept them from goats and small boys until now, and with just a little bit of effort, in 3-4 years they will be bearing fruit.  That's the reason for making the committee fence the trees as a condition for getting them.  They've invested time and effort into planting the trees, not just the 5 min it takes to dig a hole and throw the seedling in. (And honestly, 2 hours is not that much time- really. Especially in the life of  a tree.)
So that's what's going on in ole HK these days.  I'll try and fill in some stories from the last few months here and there. Keep checking the blog, and thanks for all the support!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ashley,
    You don't know me, but I've been in this situation many times, over many years, and I think I speak from vast experience in tree planting. That is my experience is: Too-few trees planted, too-few volunteers, and too-little partnership in tree planting or care. I hope to add all the encouragement I can muster by saying that even little successes are BIG accomplishments. That is, if you get survival of one tree in fifty, - great. I'd like to hope you'll get 1 in 10 survival after a year or two but that's a lot to ask. Just vision the impact of one mature tree somewhere you plant, fifty years from now! I think that's a success you can strive for.
    If you have any trees left-over by the time you read this, please consider sharing one with another PCV in another village. I bet he/she would be willing to add a lot of care during their tour - preferably, one of the newoly sworn-in arrivals.
    Best wishes. Just keep on planting. It'll work beyond your wildest dreams. Just keep faith and keep-on trying.
    Sincerely,
    Will In IL

    ReplyDelete