Tuesday, September 28, 2010

the futility of life

Not really, but the futility of posting pictures today has stymied the blogs inside me begging to be posted.
I have so many pictures to share! Internet, why must you be so slow?
Sure, this is a third world country, but you're striving to be better, to pick yourselves up, to build roads, to have electricity on a regular daily basis. And to load pictures of humble cashew plants onto the internet for the masses  few people in America that my mom makes read my blog see.
So unfortunatly (wow Gambian english, going to need to stop that in 4 months) I spent the whole afternoon trying to load 2 pictures, and not typing.
The abbreviated version of my life lately:
Last Sunday, the 20th, the Forestry Committee planted over 600 Gmelina (pronounced melina) stumps (which should grow into trees) in the Hella Kunda Community Forest.
Yeah! This is great- I didn't have a thing to do with the planning or execution, I just supported.  I see that as the gauge of effectiveness as a Volunteer- Is the community able to get things done without you? Will they be able to do so when you leave? In this situation, YES. I really just wanted to be positive reinforcement and gentle guidence, the community was the driving force behind the planting.
The committe decided to plant the cashew seedlings Mom and I started in June. At first I was going to sell them, with the proceeds going back to the committee or the community somehow, but I decided to give them away provided that they were individually fenced for protection from goats and other pests. 
The Forestry Committee decided to use the cashew seedlings as a border for one side of the village, with each member required to plant and fence one tree.  They decided to meet the next Sunday, the 27th, to do the work.

1 comment:

  1. 4 months till you come home?!?! Yeah! Glad to hear that you are still getting it done in HK! Miss you- you are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete